Friday, April 3, 2015

Friday Reads: ARC Review of Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill!!!

Hello there guys!!

Happy Friday!! It is a Friday after night shift from me, so although it's a pretty awesome day since I have it off, it is also a bit inconvenient since I really need my nap in the morning after work. Do forgive any typos that might happen right now!

For this week's first Friday Reads entry I have an ARC that I was approved on NG by Quercus books and that is an amazing book but also extremely tough to read! As an ARC it shall count towards my 105 Challenge in the books for review category and also as part of the Dystopian Reading Challenge 2015!!







Only Ever YoursOnly Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Brilliant, relevant and enraging all at once. Is this an amazing book? YES! Will it be easy to read and give you fuzzy feels? HELL NO! But I think it's something every woman of every age NEEDS to read!

This was a particularly hard book for me to read, and I'm pretty sure it'll be for any woman out there, because it holds a mirror to the ugliest parts of ourselves: our envies, our self-hate and self-doubt, how we've all sometimes agreed to some injustice to stay on someone's good side, how we lose control of ourselves and our bodies... and all that hate and those messages about the perfect body, the Vomitorium, the kcal blockers... it reminded me of some less than stellar moments of my teenage self and made me want to go eat some chocolate because I could.

A dystopian story set in a future where women are designed and created, not born, raised together in Schools where they're prepared for their future as companions, concubines or chastities, the only roles allowed to women now. And as the best dystopians, it is so scary because it could be true. Women, specially young girls, have no real rights, no right to think for themselves or to ask questions, they only exist to give birth to sons, please men or care for the other eves. What are the eves? They're the women, and they are as unimportant as to have their names without a capital letter.

So many of the things that happen in the book are already happened, albeit in a smaller scale. Women are still treated as property in many countries, and even in the first world ones, the pressure to look perfect, to be perfect, to be thin, to look perfectly composed, to not be overly emotional and the fact that women still turn against each other for petty reasons instead of focusing on fighting for what's important really, like true equality.

We follow the story from freida's POV, one of the eves in her final year at the School, hoping to be chosen as a companion. I had the biggest swings with freida that I've ever had with a character, I kept on going from hating her to pitying her to understanding and empathy to loathing and wanting to shake her, time and again! She wants attention and she puts up with so MUCH to get it, risking everything for approval.

As I said, this is a MUST READ BOOK and if you know or find any girls out there that think feminism is not their issue or relatable, give them this book and make them think about that it says!

Despite how I needed a break now and read from reading the book, this is a brilliant book and deserved to ger more out there!



View all my reviews

18 comments:

  1. Oh how strange. This is already been published here in the uk so when I saw ARC I was like 'oh another of the same book!?' Lol. I have a copy of this so I can't wait to this one. Sounds so different from any dystopia I've read. Looking forward to this one, great review, Pili. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this was the ARC for the US edition! It is a fantastic book, but be forewarned that it is an extremely hard book to read!

      Delete
  2. Wow. I can't believe this is the first I'm hearing of this book Pili! It sounds like an amazing, if infuriating, story and I need to pick it up immediately. I know it's going to make me want to throw something and eat a ton of chocolate like you did, but all the best books do that;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, YES YOU DO JENNY!!
      I stopped reading, went to the fridge for some chocolate because my body is my own and who bloody cares about tigh gap and then made me wonder where should I put a boxing bag in my new apartment for when I feel like punching something!

      Delete
  3. Oh, my goodness, I never would have picked this up on my own. The cover just doesn't look appealing at all! But it sounds amazing, and something both I and my sister would enjoy very, very much, even if it is a very difficult read.
    Wonderful review! I missed you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is strangely fitting once you read the book, but I agree, not something that will make me want to grab it. I do hope you and your sister will pick this one up, because it's a must read!
      I've missed you too, Maja! I hope everything is well with you and yours!

      Delete
  4. Huh. I remember you were reading this one... I don't think I'll be reading it, but I'm so glad you loved it! Like, so much! That's awesome :D Fabulous review, Pili!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not heard about this book before, but I'm so so glad that you loved it Pili :D It do look pretty exciting ;p Maybe one day. <3 Thank you for sharing your thoughts about it sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie! This is a book that will make you angry and unhappy but it's a book that we all need to read at some point!

      Delete
  6. Wow Pili. This sounds like a really intense book! I haven't heard of this one before either, but I am definitely interested in this one. The most powerful dystopians are the ones we can actually see happening! Some books are worth reading just for the knowledge they impart. I typically am a romance only reader, but I just read a YA that was really informational and I think those kinds of books are deserving of a read! I'll definitely check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Intense is a very good word to describe this one! And being a teacher surrounded with teens, this will resonate with you I'm sure! Thank you Jessica!

      Delete
  7. I have been seeing this around here and there, but I didn't know it was a Dystopian. I am more interested now; especially with you giving it five of five stars. I am going to add it on Goodreads right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! I cannot wait to see what you think of it Linda!!

      Delete
  8. Ahaha after reading the first paragraph of this review I knew it was simply one I would have to read. And that was that. Onto my TBR it went, and now I cannot wait to try it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a must read indeed Olivia! Do let me know what you think!

      Delete
  9. PILI!!! I HAVE THIS ON MY TBR! But sadly didn't win the Goodreads giveaway of it! :((

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oigh! I hope you'll get to read it soon, Carmel!!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!