Monday, October 6, 2014

Crushed by Eliza Crewe Blog Tour: Review!!



Hello guys!! Welcome to a very special blog tour that I'm extremely proud to be a part of!

Crushed was one of those sequels I was really looking forward to this year, and when it seemed that it wouldn't see the light of day after Strange Chemistry being closed, I send my support and best wishes to the author, and when she said she planned to figure out a way to get Crushed published, I jumped at the chance to be part of the blog tour for it. To check out the other stops in the tour go HERE!

Crushed is book two in the Soul Eater series by Eliza Crewe and was released on September 22nd. It can be found in eBook format in all these places: AmazonGoogle PlayBarnes & NobleKobo

Hopefully we'll also be getting a print edition soon, cause I need a matching paperback to my Cracked one!




Crushed (Soul Eater, #2)Crushed by Eliza Crewe

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Cracked was one of my favourite discoveries of last year and when I heard about the sequel, I was extremely excited to get more from Meda and the rest of the gang. Then the Strange Chemistry debacle happened and Crushed was in danger to never be published, even if had been lucky enough to get an ARC via Netgalley.

Then the author decided that she would self publish Crushed herself and I was so very happy that she will continue telling Meda's story! I can promise no real spoilers for Crushed in this review, but expect some for book 1, Cracked.

Crushed is a middle book WITHOUT the dreaded middle book syndrome, though there are lulls in the action here and there, it is more than compensated with the character development that we get in the slower scenes. And the whole book is once again completely made by Meda's voice. She is such an unique and fresh character, with such a distinctive voice and wonderful humour. She's irreverent, she doesn't apologize or pretend to play nice and her biggest concesion to political correcteness is silence, when she can manage it.

Meda starts this book knowing more about herself and the two sides of herself, being part demon, part human/Crusader and also with her potential for immense good as a Beacon. But that doesn't mean that she can wipe the slate clean and be treated as anything other than a half demon, and although she has friends and not-enemies in the Crusader school/chapter, she herself isn't exactly comfortable with trying to be good all the time.

I loved reading from Meda's POV, even if at times you might feel like hitting her on the back of the head and even if I couldn't relate with her 100% of the time, it was very easy to see and understand what she was going through. There's a lot of growth in Meda in this book and not just because she is trying to be good but also because she is forced to make some choices and she finds what she can and cannot live with or without.

Aside from out favourite characters being back, like Jo & Chi, we also get some new ones like Armand and Sergeant Graff. Armand is a very intriguing and interesting character, a monster and a bad boy and a complex character with complex motivations that allows Meda to be herself even if while doing so he seems to encourage the darkest parts of Meda. The romance that was built in this book was not only full of great empowering moments that I loved (yay for feminist soul eating monsters!) but also provided tension and a lot of growth for Meda as a character.

Adding some romance here was a very good choice but also provided with a big contrast from other stories, love is never easy but when you don't trust the one you love, is it really love? How do you decide between who to save and who to sacrifice? Is romantic love bigger than friendship love?

With plenty of action and some unexpected choices the end of the book was a wild rollercoaster where you aren't sure who to trust, when Meda finds herself between a rock and hard place and faces death on both sides. And even when you feel you sort of can breathe again with the epilogue, we are thrown a curve ball and are left shocked awaiting the next and final book in this series.

A very much deserved 4 to 4.5 stars to this one. I cannot wait for more Meda!!



View all my reviews
 

9 comments:

  1. YAY for no middle book syndrome Pili!!!! I've heard nothing but amazing things about Meda, and I simply can't wait to meet her. I was so nervous for all the Strange Chemistry authors when it was announced Angry Robot was doing away with that imprint, there were so many books from them that I loved! I'm so glad she decided to self publish the rest of the series, I want to pick these up immediately:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you'll pick it up, Jenny! Meda has such an unique voice and so different from more usual YA paranormal!!

      Delete
  2. Yay for feminist soul eating monsters! I loved the first book and I'm so happy to hear that this is a success! I also have the e-arc, but I wasn't quite sure what to do with it after the SC disaster. Now I'll do my best to review it and soon. I must get to know this Armand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm pretty sure you're going to appreciate Armand and Meda's interactions!! I cannot wait to hear what you think of this one, Maja!

      Delete
  3. Aw, yay :D Awesome post Pili. <3 I'm glad you enjoyed this book so much. Haven't heard of the series, but it looks pretty awesome :) Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie!! Just in case you are wondering, NO love triangles in this one! ;)

      Delete
  4. Awww, glad to hear that you're supporting the Strange Chemistry authors so much! I'm not familiar with many of the authors, honestly. No love triangle is good ;D

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the Strange Chemistry authors and books were so unique and refreshing that I am totally hell bent on helping them as much as I can!! And yes, no love triangle is VERY good!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read Strange Chemistry, but I always feel so encouraged when I see authors going out and self publishing books when they get into a bit of a catastrophe in other cases. She did a good job of this book as well by the sound of it! The characters definitely seem likeable, and I do like a good middle grade book every now and again. I should check these out!

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/10/the-guardian-review-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!